- High standard education and healthcare system
- Access to business opportunities throughout Europe
- Dependents included:
- Spouse; children under 18; children over 18 currently in the UK as a dependent.
- Applicants from outside European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- The travel mobility and security of a UK passport
- Foreign nationals must apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain to become UK permanent residents
- Permanent residents have ability to live, work and study in the UK without any restriction and may leave and return at any time
- Can apply for Citizenship after holding permanent residence for at least 1 year and living in the UK for at least 5 years.
- The applicant must make an investment of at least GBP 2,000,000. 100% of the specified investment amount of capital by way of share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies, which may be through qualifying managed investment funds. The investment funds must not be used outside the UK.
- The funds may be in the UK or overseas when you apply.
- Have opened a UK bank account or investment account
- Have investment funds which must be held in a recognized financial institution for at least 2 years prior to application
- Provide evidence that the funds were acquired legally and belong to applicant or spouse
- Must make the UK their main home and must spend at least 50% of their time in the UK
- Must be at least 18 years old
- The applicant must provide a Criminal Record Certificate confirming they have no criminal convictions
- Provide a tuberculosis test result (depending on residence)
- The applicant can invest a higher sum to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain more quickly
- The visa application must be submitted to a UK Embassy or Consulate nearest to where the applicant is currently living
- Upon successful application an initial 3-year visa will be issued
- The visa can be extended for a further 2 years providing that the applicant maintains the investment and residency requirements
- Applicants may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after a variable period depending on the sum invested as follows:
- GBP 2,000,000 investment, the applicant may apply after 5 years
- GBP 5,000,000 investment, the applicant may apply after 3 years
- GBP 10,000,000 investment, the applicant may apply after 2 years
What is the UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa?
The UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa is a residence by investment program. It enables high-net-worth non-EU investors who make a substantial financial investment in the United Kingdom (UK), to live in UK.
Who is eligible to apply for the UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa?
The investor must meet the following requirements:
- be an adult (over 18 years old)
- have at least £2,000,000 available to invest in the UK
- prove that the money belongs to either the investor, their spouse, or unmarried or same-sex partner
- prove that the money used for the investment was legally obtained
- have opened a UK bank account
- show that the money used for the investment has been held by the investor for at least 2 years
- show that the money used for the investment is held in a regulated financial institution
- show that the money is free to spend in the UK
How Long is the UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa valid for?
The UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa, is valid for 3 years and 4 months, and may be renewed for a further period of 2 years. After 5 years residence the investor is eligible to apply for permanent residence.
Are there any residency requirements?
Yes, the investor is required to spend at least 180 days per year in the UK.
What are the requirements to renew the UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa?
In order to renew the UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa after the initial 3 year and 4-month period, the investor must continue to maintain the initial investment, including all investment conditions.
Can UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa holders work or study in the UK?
Yes, the investor is free to live, work and study in the UK, however the Investor may not work as a professional sportsperson, sports coach, doctor or dentist (unless specific requirements are met).
Can the UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa holder automatically work in other EU countries?
No, the permit only allows the investor to live and work in the UK.
Can the investor’s spouse and minor children also benefit from the UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa?
Yes, the spouse (or life partner) and children who are under 18 years old (including adopted children) that are financially dependent on the Investor may be included.
What is the minimum investment amount?
The minimum legal requirement is an investment of £2,000,000 in qualifying investments in the UK until permanent residence is obtained. The investor must show that the funds have been in their possession and control for at least 2 years.
Is there any benefit to increasing the investment amount?
The investor has the option to invest a minimum of £5,000,000, or £10,000,000 which entitles the investor to apply for permanent residence in a shorter period of time.
- An investment of at least £5,000,000 means the investor is eligible to apply for permanent residence after 3 years of UK residence.
- An investment of at least £10,000,000 means the investor is eligible to apply for permanent residence after 2 years of UK residence.
What are the UK Tier 1 (Investor) qualifying investments?
Investment funds must be invested in the UK by way of share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies, other than those principally engaged in property investment.
Can the investor make other investments in the UK after the qualifying investment?
Yes, the investor is totally free to make additional investments or other acquisitions such as property.
Can the investor sell the investment?
The investor is always free to withdraw all their investments in the UK whilst holding the Tier 1 (Investor) visa but the investor and dependents will lose their right to reside in the UK, as the investment is not maintained anymore. Once the investor has permanent residence the investments can be sold freely.
When can UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa holders apply for citizenship?
UK Tier 1 (Investor) Visa holders will become eligible to apply for British citizenship after having lived in the UK for at least 5 years AND having held permanent residence for at least 1 year, subject to meeting language and other requirements.
Does the UK allow dual citizenship?
Yes, there is no restriction on dual (or multiple) citizenship.
The present document is intended for guidance and general information only and does not constitute or purport to provide you with legal advice. Such information is subject to changes without notice. Each case is unique and depends on the facts and circumstances of the individual and due consideration should be taken if applying the general information to your personal situation. For an evaluation of your personal circumstances one of our legal team would be happy to assist.